Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thank the monks for meditation!

I have been taking yoga off and on for probably 10 years now.  I am a huge fan of breathing and meditation.  I frequently find myself taking a calming breath during the day.  Alright, maybe 10 times during the day.

One day, after I had enough of trying to calm myself, I decided to try to calm my children.  I wish I had done this sooner.  Sugar has taken to it like a true monk.  Her breaths are deep and pure and I can see her concentrating on the calmness.  Ginger has a hard time with calm.  She has so much energy and if I didn't know better I would think she had my stubborn streak and our ancestors ability to hold a grudge.

I made the entire family sit on the floor one day and I taught them how to breath.  My husband has been doing yoga with me for a few years now, so he helped guide the children as well.  It helped immensely that very first time.  The negativity and snipping coming from the little balls of energy reduced and they could smile and laugh as DH and I told them what happened once upon a lamaze meditation, or at least what we could remember before we fell asleep.

Sugar has been fleshing out her happy place, being careful to make sure it doesn't touch too much on Ginger's happy place or else they wouldn't be happy anymore.

Sometimes I catch Sugar in her meditation pose and I can't help but smile and take a deep breath of the calm she is creating.




No comments: