Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mucking out the junk

After we decided not to buy another house right now, we decided we would upgrade little parts of this one to make us happier with it.  Step 1 is finally complete.  

We spent the last 2 months cleaning out 10 years of accumulated junk one room at a time.  The girls are somewhat used to me doing this as they outgrow clothes and baby toys.  They had NEVER seen me empty a room completely and decide what to keep and what to give away and what to trash.

I think it was good for them.  They saw that I too have a hard time getting rid of stuff.  They helped me take 5 or so loads of donations out of my house.  They noticed how the house was prettier.  Sugar still walks into a room and says how new it looks.  Ginger says, "remember when we couldn't find anything in here?"

I do.  It has been a huge undertaking but it was worth every effort.  Even the garage got a clutter make over.

Step 2 is awaiting delivery.  We created our own sofa and chair at Build-a-Sofa.  I have room to move the current futon to the guest room so my family has a room and a door to use when they visit.  In a house where the children wake up at 6:30 EVERYDAY, a room with a door is a godsend.

I am looking forward to having a chair I can sit in, hopefully alone, and a couch that I can sit in and still touch my feet to the floor.

The next few steps haven't been planned out well yet, but we are wanting new floors and a tree and a sprinkler system.

In the meantime, the children are learning to take care of these cruddy carpets so maybe they will appreciate new wood floors more.  The mean momma that I am made Ginger spot clean the carpet where she spilled pizza, there were orange spots everywhere.  Of course, it kinda back fired.  She liked doing it.  I guess I have someone to scrub my carpets now though.

No comments: