Wednesday, September 19, 2012

For the Love of Learning

Ginger is the reason I took on homeschooling.  She wanted to read at 3.  Every school day, when a public school's bell would normally ring she comes to me and says, what are we learning today?  She is the one leading this circus train and she is my motivation.  I never want her to be complacent with what she already knows.  I love that she is always rationalizing things based on one or two pieces she already knows.  Her conclusion may be wrong, but she is at least learning the process.

Sugar is a different story.  She is only 4 and would rather play.  She is still trying, but things don't come as easy for her and I have to try harder to keep her from losing interest.  She needs more one on one time, which Ginger gets jealous of.

It is a juggling act for sure, but would they be better off in a big box school?  I don't think so.  They both like to learn things and they both seek out answers and ask questions.  Sugar, who is soft spoken and internalizes a lot, would likely get lost amongst 24 other kids.  Ginger, being loud and bouncy, would totally end up being a trouble child.  And both of them would learn that they way they want to learn is not the "right" way and then their love of learning would be squashed.

Yes, a lot of this is speculation on my part.  But right now, this is what is best for us.  Plus, I am currently smarter than they are.  For how long?  I don't know.

No comments: