Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Seed starting with kids

I am not being paid for this post.  It would be nice if I were, but alas, I am not.  Let us all take a moment to pout.

On to the meat of the matter.  Or the vegetable rather.  My mom sent the girls some gardening tools a few seed packets and money for veggie plants with a caveat that we should try Growums.  She thought they looked cool and were interactive enough to make it a little bit of homeschool botany.  I agreed and thus we added a little character to our gardens.



We bought 3 growums kits.  A Pizza garden, a Ratatouille garden, and a Salad garden.  Each kit come with the soil pellets, seeds and a self watering tray to start the seeds in.  There are enough pellets for 2 of each of the type of seeds they include.

The pizza garden includes roma tomatoes, basil, peppers, and oregano.


The ratatouille garden includes fireball tomatoes, zucchini, more peppers, and eggplant.


The salad garden comes with carrots, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, and more roma tomatoes.


The pellets do not look like that to start with.  They are flat and dry and compact.  When the girls added water they expanded into the little self contained domes.  The girls LOVED watching them grow.  It did not get old even after the 3rd tray.  I think we will be use these kits as long as they keep selling them.

We poured water into the center of the dish every day and watched for the seeds to sprout. Everyday, the girls excitedly yell at me that it is time to water the gardens.  Everyday, the girls claim one to water.  Everyday, I hope the girls don't spill the water onto the antique buffet that they are perched on.  

After only 4 days:



The girls were getting a little nervous because all the seeds were not sprouting at the same time.

After 4 weeks:


The girls are better gardeners than I am and I hope to learn some things from them.

No comments: