Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tiny People Cookies

I am a believer that my children are a reflection of me, good or bad. I created every flaw and every triumph.

Everything I have done, whether it was active or passive has made this beautiful cookie dough. My job is to roll it out and mold it into delicious cookies. Each of my children started out with the same ingredients. I chose an excellent base when I picked my husband. He compliments me in many ways, yet we still introduce our own subtle flavors, sometimes they even compete with each other for an added bonus. My children also each brought to the table their own secret ingredient, whether I like it or not, I have to incorporate it.

My oldest is my gingerbread. She's a great cookie, but can have a bit of spice to her. It is my job to bring it to the best complimentary flavor.

My youngest is my sugar cookie. She's very quiet and sweet, but can be a bit bland and let other people flavor her. My job is to show her that she can be excellent all on her own.

It may take me a long time to roll it and shape it and get the chunks out. I may try adding an ingredient only to find it doesn't go with their secret flavor and have to take it out again. I am a baker and I like my cookies. I will do everything in my power to make them the most excellent cookies I could have created.

Consider yourselves my critics and sous chefs, my baking students, my inspiration. You are all a part of this kitchen, whether you clean up after my messes or bring me a new ingredient or cookie cutter to try. Just like every thing I do or don't do influences my children, you all influence me.

Thank you for being a part of this metaphor. I will show you my successes and my failures. I am not a five star baker yet, but I have hopes. And if I totally flop, at least you will know what not to do.

No comments: