Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Helping Hands

Last week we had a bitter cold, windy day in Texas.  It was 47 degrees when I went to pick up Sugar, but the wind made it brutal.

As Ginger and I were bundled up trying not to let the wind touch our bare bits, we walked by a mom.  She is a friend, but I'd like to think that doesn't matter to the story. Anyway, she was having trouble putting her baby and the bulky pumpkin seat into her SUV because she couldn't open her door all the way.  My first instinct was to help out.  Yes, it is cold and windy and my 5 year old should be my first priority, but I always stop and help when I can.  We passed the cute, bundled up baby boy over his brother all the way across the backseat of the SUV.  Less than 3 minutes and she's on her way instead of having to wait for the other mom to load up and drive away.

She later thanked me as if I had done something amazing.  Maybe, in this day and age, I had, but I never considered an alternative.  It is pure instinct for me to stop and help if it's needed.  Don't get me wrong, I will not help if I feel I am being taken advantage of, well, not for long anyway.

I want my girls to be the same way.  My husband is not.  He's not mean about it, he probably doesn't even realize he's overlooking something.  It's just not in his personality to be a servant.

Servitude is tattooed on my face.  If I see someone, anyone in need and it is within my power to help, I will.  No question.  I pass by a man on the side of the road with his hood up, I want to stop.  What could I possibly do, that he can't?  Nothing, but my first instinct is to stop.  Then my safety thoughts click in.  Man, Car.  I'm a woman, 100 pounds lighter, 2 kids in the car. Yes, I drive on by him.  I won't risk my kid's safety to the unknown.  But driving by is fighting my instincts, it's hard for me to do.

I want my kids to be helpful.  I want them to notice when someone could use a helping hand or a smile or just a few simple words.  I want my kids to think of others before themselves if it is within their power to do so.

No comments: